So earlier in the year I finally got my e-bike, and a long with a new job I was already to commute to work, but the winter really set in, I so feel like that’s an excuse, but I just couldn’t find the will to get out there.
Now spring is here and I’m looking for inspiration to get out there, and to also tackle the trip to work. There is one big hurdle I just can seem to get my head around, the 2km (1.2mi) 8 percent hill I need to get up on the way home. It’s the biggest head stopper, I’m interested in others feedback on this??
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I tend to jump into life changing moments with vim and vigor, only be to be disappointed in myself when I loose my way.
This time however I need this change to stick, so I am researching to find as much information around making this transformation as I can. This is so I can plan and set realistic expectations, and love the change.
While I have been looking at this for some 6 months now, I have found it rather hard to find information on what to expect if commuting on a bike or even an e-bike. It seems only hardcore street cyclist in their lycra seem to post.
On a resent trip to Amsterdam and some of the main Nordic countries, I saw first hand that commuting on a bike is the norm, and no special “lycra gear” is required. After spending 6 weeks gorking in the windows of every bike shop I could find on my holiday I have decided to take the next step and make this apart of my weekly commute.
So I have been home 4 weeks now, and research research research seems to be where I am at. To be honest I have found it hard to get a good understanding on the following key points:
- What type of e-bike would be best?
- How do you even learn about the best motors, bike shapes, and size?
- Do I need to get a degree in engineering to understand any of this??
- Cycling paths vs riding on the road
- what does my city council supply and what is coming?
- How am I going to keep committed in this winter weather??
- What accessories for a bike are need to haves vs that looks pretty!
- Helmet – don’t get me started on helmets, seems like there is loads of choices if you want to be some road aerodynamic commuter, but I want something that is conformable, water proof, and most importantly – Safe
- My list could go on and on and on!!!
To help bring some order into my decision making, and to help others thinking of doing the same, I decided to create this website….so welcome to my chaos!