I found this great page that has a list of 13 things to consider and a list of things to think about with your fellow workmates – the article is by By Gale Bernhardt For Active.com – http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/bike-to-work-tips-for-your-first-commute
In short here are the 13 things to consider
- Begin with an achievable distance.
- Start with an achievable frequency.
- Wear a helmet.
- Wear clothing that can easily be seen by motorists.
- Don’t make a big deal out of special clothes and gear.
- Consider cycling shorts.
- Do a dry run on the weekend.
- Find routes with minimal traffic.
- Learn how to change a flat.
- Carry a cell phone and call for help if you have significant mechanical trouble.
- Take your clothes to work the day before you commute.
- Strategize your clean up time before work.
- Watch for parked car doors swinging open.
- One pant cuff rolled (hint: the right one)
- Racks or panniers to carry commuting essentials
- Bike commuting for any portion of your trip to work, even if it’s riding to a public transportation hub
- Recruiting a friend to ride with you
- Bike commuting in less-than-perfect weather conditions
- inside-out bike shorts hanging on your cubicle wall
- Riding on sidewalks
- Listening to music while you should be listening for potential hazards around you
- Weaving in and out of stopped or slowly moving traffic
- Darting across medians and riding against traffic